Mosquitoes have a clear preference in their biting: If it is between you and your husband, the odds are that the mosquito will go for the most attractive person in the room… I’m not flirting with you, I’m talking about the person with the most seductive skin excrements. You see, some people produce more of certain chemicals, which some blood lusting insects might be attracted to a whole lot. And it’s not about the sweat itself, surprisingly. But a lot of other subtle skin substances inside your sweat do matter to mosquitoes.
Chances are you landed on this article, because you asked yourself why your husband can sleep comfortably at night, while you’re being bombarded with mosquito love. And honestly, it’s a pretty evil question to ask why mosquitoes aren’t biting your husband! You should be happy for him! Truth be told, I know what it is to be in your shoes. Just like yourself, my skin is also the favorite mosquito meal on the planet. And I’m a guy, so being a guy or gal probably isn’t really relevant. But there are some clear factors of influence that áre causing all those nasty mosquito bites.
Why Do Mosquitoes Bite Me More Than My Husband?
Mosquitoes will bite some people more than others (such as your husband, child or friend), because of genetics. Your DNA will determine whether or not you are more likely to excrete skin substances that are attractive to female mosquitoes. It is only the female variety of mosquitoes that will bite to gather blood.
If one person gets bitten more than the other, a small portion of the reason can be found in direct factors. If your body is warmer and if you’re someone who moves a lot in their sleep, a mosquito bite is more likely. Taking an alcoholic beverage, doing some sports, or wearing darker clothing will all increase your likelihood of getting bitten.
Understanding the underlying reasons will help you see why exactly this is the case. This comes down to understanding what goes on inside the tiny brain of a mosquito. What are their preferences and what would a female mosquito be attracted to when she is looking for blood at night? It’s easier to determine than you might think. Let’s take a look at what it is exactly a mosquito loves about you, and might dislike about your husband.
What Is It That Mosquitoes Are Attracted To?
Mosquitoes have developed to be attracted to certain chemicals. Mosquitoes are usually attracted to the following:
- Skin chemicals: Your skin excretes lactic acid, uric acid, and ammonia. But only 80% of people are “secretors”;
- Skin bacteria: The bacterial makeup on your skin will also determine how likely mosquitoes will bite you;
- Blood type: Mosquitoes prefer O-type blood over people with A, B, or AB blood types;
- Metabolic rate: Carbon dioxide (CO2) is produced when exhaling. A faster metabolic rate will increase CO2-levels;
- Motion: If you are moving a lot, insects will pick up on the vibrations in the air and start moving towards you;
- Mosquito proximity: A mosquito will pick the easiest target. If you’re closer to one, it’s likely you will be bitten first;
Most of these factors can hardly be changed, so the only thing left to do is to remove the source of the problem. Killing all indoor mosquitoes is the only way to truly know you will not get bitten anymore. Once a mosquito chooses you over your husband (or anyone else inside the house for that matter), you’ll better get yourself some effective anti-mosquito solutions (such as the ones found here).
If you already know you’re a target due to some of the aforementioned factors, I recommend you to check out some of the many solutions found on this blog. But even when you’re not blood type O, you can still be a prime target. I actually want to zoom in on the blood types a bit more, because that is one of the more important factors on the list. It’s also an important part of your personal health, by the way. Allow me to shine some light on it for you.
Which Blood Type Do Mosquitoes Like The Most?
Blood type matters when it comes to mosquito bites. People with blood type O-negative and O-positive will both be the most susceptible to mosquitoes. Type-B blood places you in the middle of the attractiveness spectrum, while A or AB will help repel mosquitoes the most.
Of course, there might be a possibility that you are unaware of what exactly your blood type is. So, perhaps it can be a good idea to donate some blood to a good cause and get it tested. A test like that is called a blood typing test (ABO typing test). All it requires is a sample of blood and a simple medical laboratory test.
A more basic method is asking your parents what blood group they are in, and deriving it from there. Obviously, this is not always possible for everyone, but perhaps you already know the blood type of your mom and dad by heart. To determine your blood type compatibility, please use the second table in this article.
While this might seem a bit excessive for the purpose of knowing if mosquitoes are likely to bite you, knowing your blood type is a vital part of your personal health to determine your personal blood type. It’s recommended by doctors and hospitals that you know your blood type in case of a medical emergency.
How Do I Keep Mosquitoes From Biting Me?
While there are many different natural mosquito repellents, the best methods to keep mosquitoes from biting you include the following:
- Using a mosquito trap: If you’re familiar with this blog you know I’m a big fan of the DynaTrap DT2000XL;
- Protecting doors and windows: It’s the first line of defense against indoor mosquitoes (see below for more);
- Using anti-mosquito spray: Use anti-insect substances like DEET or picaridin-rich products, such as Skin So Soft;
- Remove standing water from the yard: Mosquitoes lay their eggs in any pools or puddles, remove them;
- Use scents as a barrier: Certain smells and scents work wonders against mosquitoes, such as garlic or lemon.
While it might be a real struggle to keep all of the female mosquitoes away from you, using measures like these will certainly help you fight them in and around the house. For sleeping in peace in particular, I’d like to zoom into one of the coolest solutions, which actually means you’re going to sleep like the royal family. A real princess bed for everyone, just to keep the mosquitoes out.
Better Sleep Without Mosquito Bites: The Solution!
The most annoying moment you will find mosquitoes targeting you, is when you’ve found some rest in your bed. While your husband might be snoring away beside you, you are the prime target of the buzzing maniacs. Once mosquitoes are inside your bedroom, there is no turning back. That’s exactly why it’s a great idea to take some preventive measures, especially during relatively warm weather. Because mosquitoes will mostly be gone during winter time.
But in summer, when your bedroom windows are open, you’re going to have to take some preventive measures. Especially because mosquito targeting is mostly determined by factors you cannot determine (such as your DNA), there is no way for you to do anything else than protecting yourself. Forget all those organic and natural solutions, most of them don’t work. This does work like magic:
- Protective window screens: A simple anti-mosquito screen such as this one on Amazon can work wonders. That’s really all it takes to keep mosquitoes outside! Now, you might already have one of these installed, but it might have holes in it somewhere. This happens all the time, I also had this on multiple occasions. For that, a very basic and simple insect screen repair kit such as this one will fix those holes in no time. It’s very important that you do this, because an insect screen will not work if it’s not sealed properly. This is true for both your doors and windows.
- Sleeping like a royalty with a bed canopy: The ultimate solution for sleeping safe and quiet is not citrus, garlic or other weird natural solutions. It’s also not sounds or smells. It’s transforming your bed into a princess bed! Keep those Zika-carrying pests out with a beautiful bed canopy such as this one. You will not only sleep like the royal family, it’s also a simple and very cheap solution to all types of insects.
If you want some more inspiration, I’ve got plenty of useful product tests on my blog, which can all be found on this recommended anti-mosquito products page. You’ll find a good overview there of the most cost-effective and efficient ways to kill mosquitoes in and around the house. That includes bite treatment for when you’ve already been bitten. Let me know what you think about it and good luck killing those insects in your house!
8 thoughts on “Why Do Mosquitoes Bite Me And Not My Husband? (Explained)”
A GREAT- SMELLING REPELLANT =
“Amber Romance” body creme by Victoria’s Secret 👍😀 💕
Also, Bath Products ( soaps + lotion ) containing Peppermint Oil & Grapefruit work wonders … So Your MAN can smell good while preventing Mosquitoes, too !!
As for RELIEVING the ITCH AFTER =
My All Time Favorite is “CAMPHO-PHENIQUE Oil” … It is absolutely incredible at INSTANTLY killing the itch 😊
What a nice article, learn a lot of things about mosquitoes and what to do to avoid getting bitten by mosquitoes.
what great advice this is wonderful to know and I will be allot happier thank you so much.
I will try all of the above suggestions.
Little assholes are eating me alive.
Thank youuuu, finally I have found the reason why it’s only me that gets bitten by mosquitoes. When I complain they tell me that it’s just my imagination or it’s allergies
I agree with you except for blood type one of my sons and one of my daughters are type O mosquitos don’t bother them I am A and they eat me alive.
I’ve tried so many things. Is there a way that can make my blood not so tasty for mosquitoes?
Mosquitoes hardly ever bit me, now I am 67 and they bite me occasionally. My grandson has gotten bitten his entire life. Wouldnt we both have the same blood type? When he was little if he got bitten anywhere near his eyes they would swell shut. Now if we are outside and there are any of them around they nail him quick! It is crazy. Thank you for your insight.